Animal Species Identification
Species determination plays a central role in the regulation of the genuineness and marketability of a product. Recently, it has become increasingly important for the trade of products of animal origin that the species type be correctly declared and that this can also be verified. Especially for mixed and already processed products and halal declared products, sensitive procedures for verification of the species type are required.
For vegetarian and especially for vegan products, the exclusion of animal constituents is essential. However, for Halal or Kosher products, the exclusion of certain animal species (e.g. pig) is a key component of the quality assurance. Particularly for ethical and religious questions, highly sensitive detection methods are requested.
Equipped with highly modern technology, Eurofins offers the perfect solution for the recognition of species for various product-related questions. With the use of species-specific PCR assays, DNA sequencing and ELISA antibody-assays, fresh, processed and even highly processed products from domestic and exotic animal and fish species can be identified. Our experts will happily assist you in finding the correct method of testing for your product, also in view of current human food and animal feed regulations.
Legal Bases and Guidelines
- Regulation (EC) No 999/2001 (prevention, control and eradication of certain transmissible spongiform encephalopathies)
- Regulation (EU) No 56/2013 (prevention, control and eradication of certain transmissible spongiform encephalopathies)
- Regulation (EC) No 152/2009 (methods of sampling and analysis for the official control of feed)
- Decision of the EEA Joint Committee No 51/2013 (Veterinary and phytosanitary matters)
- Regulation (EC) No 1069/2009 (health rules as regards animal by-products and derived products not intended for human consumption)
Membership and Approvals of Individual Eurofins Laboratories(*)
- Verband Deutscher Landwirtschaftlicher Untersuchungs- und Forschungsanstalten e.V. (VDLUFA), Working Group PCR
- DIN, DIN working group NA 057-01-04-01 AK, Speziesanalytik
Other Interesting Pages
Veterinary Drug Residues
Fish and Aquaculture
Eggs and Poultry
EOL-Eurofins Online Service
|All Analyses||All Industries||All Other Services|
(*)Find more details about memberships of our individual laboratories at www.eurofins.de/food-analysis/laboratories